Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Room Changes

I have been talking about moving the dispatcher's area into the space underneath the stairs,but have been putting it off for multiple reasons, mostly laziness. I  had emptied under the stairs a while back and done some general "cleaning up" as well. That meant throwing out scrap wood, foam, homasote, and other su dry odds and ends. All that said, I moved the small cabinet to just outside the wall and did some measuring and thinking. Went ahead and began moving the desk into the stairwell and realized the opening is 38 and a quarter. The plywood I've been using as a top is (was) 38 and about 3/8s. Oops.
Out came the circular saw and rip fence. Trimmed about 2 inches off and started to put everything into place. The network drop I had on one of the outside stairwell walls is dead. Vaguely remember messing with it when I wired my house 7 something years ago, but looks like I will bring the network toner home and get that fixed. I ran a new run to get a loconet connection done; I had purchased a new complete spool of 6 conductor flat cable since my intention is to go through the layout and refresh a couple of questionable loconet connections. While doing so, I remembered how much I hate messing with drop ceilings. :-\
Discovered that I will need a better way to put monitors into the dispatchers new office if I get a larger monitor for the remaining 17" one, as the combo of the 17 and the 23 are just a hair larger than they can be to have them totally straight. I had to turn the slightly to get everything to fit, but I like the new look and it really opens up the railroad area. I also hope this will make crew utilization during sessions better as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment