Thursday, September 19, 2024

Op Session Follow Up - Engine #17 Performance

 One of the joys about operating sessions is having problems discovered by your crew.

During the previous session, an operator let me know about poor performance by one of the diesel switchers in Acca yard. This is a MP15 model by Atlas that I have had for many years. It has a standard TCS decoder installed, as it was a DC locomotive from the factory.

After taking it off the layout and putting a note on it, I also added it to my list of gripes.

This week, I took a look at it and noticed it was on the list from the February session.

Some troubleshooting during the session suggested that this loco had a low fuel tank, and I thought the plastic cover had just loosened, so should be an easy fix.


You can see where the tank has been rubbing on the trackwork:


After some additional investigation, I realized the frame on this engine has warped. I assume this has zinc pest, like many other engines from this time period. Very disappointing.

It will go into the case; maybe someday I will be about to source a replacement frame.



No comments:

Post a Comment