Thursday, September 10, 2009

Benchwork, Part Deux

This is post two for benchwork of probably 20. You don't realize how much benchwork goes into a model railroad until you build one again. This is layout number 4 for me and I just plumb forgot how much work it is.

Anyway, the pictures illustrate the main line as it leaves staging (look through the 'wall' and spot the large level in the background and enters the visible section of the layout. In the foreground of this picture is a 180 degree turnback curve to get the track to head back the way we came, just on the other side of the wall.



This photo gives you an idea on what is between the turnback curve and the exit from staging:



Since these pictures were taken, the wall and the benchwork have been painted with a primer in preparation to be painted the ground color (subroadbed) or a flat black for anything that should become a 'you don't see this' piece.

I have the lower level track plan completed, with the exception of the industrial track; I have a couple of placeholders right now just to remind me what I plan to do where.

I'm going to need a couple of curved turnouts; I'm playing with the idea of buying a fasttracks kit of straight #6's or #8's and then using their templates to build some curved switches. Anybody around used them?

The first work session on the RTRR is going to be Saturday the 26th; I'm working on making sure I have all the appropriate supplies on hand to accomplish the tasks I have asked of people. I hope the next session after this will give us a chance to run trains from the main yard south to staging. Maybe this session we will see something under its own power. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment