Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Signals at Greendale (GN Interlocking)

Years back while still operating the old railroad, I had plans to rebuild the set of cross overs just to the south of Acca, and install more prototypical signals versus the kitbashed signal bridges I had used.

The turnouts were installed in reverse order, in other words, the LH crossover was on the wrong side of the RH crossover. Compounding this, I used Atlas turnouts and one of them had a point that failed and stopped conducting power. Of course, this happened during an operating session.

The prototype had color light signals here for both tracks, using a 3 over 3 over 3 configuration. Unfortunately, the off the shelf signals available for HO are 3 over 3 at largest.

I found a custom signal builder that put together 3/3/3 signals for me and had him build me 6. By the time I got them, we had decided to sell and move, so I was pulling the layout down.

Fast forward and I finally got a chance to install these at the GN Interlocking after having them 6 or so years.


First one installed; this is for northbound traffic on track 2.


As you can imagine, with these installed right at the edge of the layout benchwork, they need protection from being bumped by random elbows and other body parts.

A piece of 1/8" acrylic was called to serve as a guard.



More pictures of this installation are on the gallery at the full website.

No comments:

Post a Comment