Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Thoughts on the Atlas (former BLMA) Signals

 Longtime readers and RTRR operators will remember that the railroad has a significant amount of signals in the overall physical plant of the railroad.

Version 1 was mostly a Tomar and NJ International with a smattering of BLMA color position signal heads kitbashed onto signals bridges.

Version 2 needs way more signals. The installations are a mix of BLMA, from old stock, Tomar, both from old stock, recovered from version 1 and new purchases, NJ International, new purchase, and some custom built 3 over 3 over 3 that look Tomar-ish.

When Atlas announced when they purchased BLMA that they intended to produce additional runs of the BLMA signals under their branding, I was super happy. It took way more time that I thought, but I was able to install some of the new signals on the railroad recently.

Atlas did produce new electronic options to drive the signals, which is something that wasn't present in the BLMA line up, but is not of any interest to me as I am using RR-Cirkits and OpenLCB project nodes on my LCC network to drive signals.



As part of that, Atlas had miniature QD connectors installed on the ends of the signal wiring.

Great idea, but the execution makes me wonder if anybody at Atlas actually tried to install these on a layout.


I'm going to go with, no, nobody did.

You can't get a 1/4" rectangular connector, through a 1/8" round hole...

I cut the connector off, since I can't use it anyway, but a bit of a disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment