Friday, February 16, 2018

Another day, another delay and another change

My track laying methodology has been:

  • Mark center lines or other roadbed path marks
  • Lay cork roadbed via gluing down
  • Sand any cork ramps down
  • Sand top of cork to ensure good transitions
  • Install track

Most folks probably remember the access hole I cut in the drywall to get track to the north end staging yard.



As seen here

I tried to layout the track so I could start laying out the roadbed and staging yard ladder. I figured that starting on the ladder would allow me to rehone my turn out building skills in a spot where it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

Step 1 was getting the track arrangement through the way right.

I printed out the track plan in 1 to 1 scale and got it taped together.


The planned 33" radius curve didn't fit. A 30" radius curve wouldn't fit either.

Queue the head scratching and out comes the tape measure. Turns out I had mis-measured during benchwork and hole building so I didn't have the clearances I needed.

Out came the drywall saw for a fix.

Note the 110V cable
After some additional trial track placements, I had something that worked.

 I put the cut drywall piece back in and proceeded to get it mudded.

NMRA Gauge to help provide scale


Ready for a bit of paint.

 More pictures inside the website gallery: richmond-terminal.org

No comments:

Post a Comment